Friday, April 2, 2010

Primus

Wow. I've been thinking of making this blog for some time now. It's amazing that it is actually real. I hope the atmosphere is quaint and not terribly kitschy. This is my first blog so please be kind, as I am still very inexperienced and unsure of what's going on! I will try to update frequently when I acquire new pieces and share older pieces when I haven't.

A little about me to get us started and a treat from my collection.

I guess you could say I am a punk gone victorian. I first came into myself after living in Japan as a foreign exchange student in 2005 and discovered the wonderful world of Japanese Goth and Punk fashion, particularly Black Peace Now. For the first time I felt comfortable in my own skin! Then after returning to America, I learned about Lolita and fell in love with the clothes of the brand Mary Magdalene. Their clothes were this ever present temptation--beautiful pieces I could never hope to afford. So elegant with their clean lines and beautiful florals (and though I'd have denied this in high school, I love florals)! One day, browsing through an antique store I saw what I thought was the most beautiful dress I'd ever laid eyes on...a yellow floral gunne sax prairie dress. Ever since I feel like I've been caught in a whirlwind of lace, elegance, and my own inner princess. I feel that when you embrace your inner princess, or whatever little purpose is lying in wait within you, you start on the path to happiness. My collections are an expression of my princess and every piece is a part of the journey to find myself. I am inviting you to share in my journey.

As a special treat, for this my first post, I will share one of my most dear pieces. When my sister and I were growing up, my mom would always buy us Madame Alexander dolls. Me being the younger (and much more interested in them) I was very upset when Madame Alexander dolls became more expensive, smaller, and less beautiful. I was jealous of all the lovely dolls my sister had acquired before this shift occurred. The last doll she gave me (very much my choice by this point) was the first doll that she got as a child. I was given the choice between this doll--a dirty smaller doll with a broken foot, hair coming unglued, and worn out elastic--and a much larger blond bridesmaid doll with no flaws except that her dress was falling apart. Before I even found out that my sister had already chosen the bridesmaid, I claimed the doll with the broken foot. I don't know what made me choose her over the other. I just see so much beauty in her. She has flaws, but so do I. We don't need to be flawless to be beautiful.

Isn't she lovely? Here's a shot where you can see the pretty yellow checkered skirt underneath her skirt. I can't quite recall which garment didn't actually come with the doll, but her outfit has been changed. I bet that means her collector's value is shot!

And lastly, a close-up of the damage on her foot.
And with that being said, thank you for your time reading my ramblings. Maybe I talk too much, I don't know.  I'll figure this blog thing out eventually. Have a lovely day.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I don't think I'd ever seen this doll, Deary! What an interesting story she has. I like her little forlorn face...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know...I know why I choose the Bridesmaid over this one. When I was little (long before you were a prayer) the bridesmaid doll has these lovely satin shoes. They were lavender with tiny silk roses on them. And I wished that they were in my size because I wanted to wear them. Sadly those shoes have been lost forever. However the memory of the doll as a whole is still quite intact.

    ReplyDelete