Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Easter!

Yesterday, I took a trip with my mom to one of my favorite antique stores to buy a beautiful pair of gloves that I'd seen when I was there with Naomi last. I had actually found two pairs, but unfortunately one pair didn't meet my most important standard for vintage shopping. They didn't fit. I hope that they find a good home with someone who can actually use them. It is my personal opinion that these things were meant to be used, and they should be. To keep them stowed away is a disservice to the piece.

Onward!

My glove collection is relatively new. It started last year with one pair of ivory gloves that actually fit my long fingers. There was nothing special about the gloves except that they were larger than the others I had seen., I didn't even go to the store looking for gloves, I just thought they might come in handy. Later I acquired a few more, still fairly simple, pairs but I didn't really seek them out. Then it seems that in the past month I've found exquisite pieces that have really piqued my interest.

From far away I realize that they must look a little like those yellow rubber gloves you use to clean the toilet, but if you look a little closer...
That beautiful detailing extends all the way to the tip of the pinky finger and as you can see, on the inside where beading would be impractical it has simple scallops. To finish off this piece, a picture of them worn!
An impulse buy I had, tucked away I found this hankie holder:
It's in immaculate condition. Women used to keep their nylons and hankies in little satin pouches like this to protect them. This one I don't think has ever been used as it still had a cardboard square inside to keep it's shape. Here I used the hankie that was currently in my purse to model the inside.
There is a little discoloration on the inside. Probably it was stored in an attic and got bleached by the sun. Also inside I found this:
The woman I bought it from thought it was a tissue holder but when I pulled out a large piece of cotton from it, my mom said it must be a sachet bag. The cotton was scented and you'd put it in a lingerie drawer to keep everything smelling nice. This too must not have been used as it still had this little advertisement in it for a scented drawer lining paper.

Wrapping up, my mom gave me an early Easter present.
I recognized this pin and I thought at first that she was re-gifting something that I gave her. But no, she said that I had pointed it out at the antique mall in Denton and she bought it while I wasn't looking. She says it's probably from about the '40s.  

If you are interested in  buying vintage gloves, come back tomorrow for my personal guide to shopping for gloves.

No comments:

Post a Comment