Thursday, April 8, 2010

Guide to shopping for vintage gloves--Part 2


I just saw the cutest crabs ever on Survivor! Non sequitur for the win. I received a very exciting phone call today. Ami, my best friend from Cottey, called out of the blue from Switzerland and it was just so wonderful to talk to her. We talked about everything--from nostagia and future plans to catching up. I can see there are wonderful things on the horizon. Nothing concrete, but wonderful, gossamer possibilities.

Before we get started, I would like to reiterate that I am no historical expert on gloves (does such a thing exist?). I don't know which construction techniques are older, or more sought after, or valuable but I know what I can see with my eyes and, well, feel with my hands. I am passing my knowledge on to you.Warning: very image heavy!

Don't assume that every pair of gloves are vintage just because they are in an antique store. Vintage clothing stores are the biggest offenders. If you have really big hands and absolutely can't find vintage gloves that fit or are looking for gloves for a costume, modern gloves can help you but otherwise, anyone intending to regularly wear gloves should really try to find vintage. After all, they were made in a time when women wore gloves not as costume but as fashion for daily use. Provided the piece you've found is in good condition, it will be much better suited to stand up to the rigors that you will put them through. But how to tell?
This is the inside of the left thumb of a newer pair of gloves. Modern gloves tend to be constructed this way. There is nothing wrong with the look of gloves made this way, but the seam is right there in the fleshy part between your thumb and index finger. If the fit is not just right (which it often isn't) or you try to grip anything tightly (such as a steering wheel) it can hurt.
This is the inside of the left hand of a vintage pair. As you can see, the seam comes to a point midway up the thumb--the delicate, fleshy part is safe.
This is the same glove, palm side.

This is the anomaly pair. these are a gorgeous example of vintage leather gloves. They also either different from my other vintage gloves and even directly contradict one of my points!
Wow. That took more out of me than I expected. Tell you what, I'll stop now and pick up the guide later with the question of inside seams versus outside seams! Fun yeah?

1 comment:

  1. I love that light blue pair. From both a construction and an aesthetic standpoint, the "point" coming from the thumb seam makes so much sense!

    ReplyDelete