Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Exciting times await

I received word recently that I have been accepted into the University of Hawai'i at Manoa for the fall semester. I am eagerly preparing for this and for my Japanese placement exam. I'll be moving down with a dear friend from Cottey who I haven't seen in two years. Because of my preparations, it may be more difficult for me to update. I will still do my utmost to post when I can, but I have a lot of studying to do. Although, if there's one thing that I collect more than any other, it may be Japanese textbooks! Maybe I'll do a post about them!

This week has been exciting for other reasons too
Ebay reasons! The holy grail for collectors of all sorts, Ebay decided in my favor in the case I opened regarding the dress I won before and refunded me the cost and shipping! I didn't even have to mail the dress back. Though I really don't want it any more, so I guess I'll donate it. Today I received two items in the mail, a beautiful robin's egg blue rayon chirimen furoshiki and a warm weather vintage Camp corset. I am in love with this corset and I'd love to show you guys, but a lady never shows the interwebs her undergarments.

No! Today, we look at the garments themselves. Specifically, the prairie dress, a very particular style of maxi dress popular in the 60s and 70s (yes, hippies). I took these pictures today to show a girl who I'm commissioning a choker from what I'm planning to wear it with. So, naturally, all of these I will show today have lower necklines.

This first one I made myself from a 1975 jumper pattern. Naomi helped me immensely with the entire process from pattern fitting to sewing. It took me a whole week. I'm very proud of it, because this is only my second completed garment. We did alter the pattern slightly, adding the ruffle around the neckline using leftover material.
This dress didn't really photograph well. It looks better on me, honestly. I still love this fabric.

This was my second Gunne Sax dress, bought mere days after my first Gunne Sax. Strangely, though ithas spaghetti straps, the fabric is a thick, dark blue cotton. The two satin ribbons under the bust are classic Gunne.

Faithful readers may recognize this dress from my first entry. It's my first, and favorite, Gunne Sax. I still think it is the most beautiful dress I've laid eyes on.

Wow, I got sleepy fast. Good night all

No comments:

Post a Comment